I know I don't update it daily. Shut up.

June 10, 2010

High fashion and the hobo


Recently I scanned Amazon.com for a new watch. Found this one. If one was given a choice between buying this watch and buying my car, one could buy my car four times over for the same price as this watch.
I don't find this watch attractive. It's visually confusing, I'm pretty sure it doesn't tell time, and its band is made from baby seals. Oh, and it's the most expensive watch offered on Amazon - $139,900 on sale for $96,755.
What's interesting is what the watch DOES display: Wealth. A watch without numbers should be good for something, and in this case the timepiece shows the high price of glamor. Designers have to out-ugly each other in order to be noticed, and by having their products noticed the consumer knows that he/she too will get noticed.

Consider this bag from Angela Di Verbeno:

What I love about this bag is that it proves my point perfectly: This is a hobo bag. I didn't name it; the fashion industry did. And while the word "hobo" brings of imagery of the fly-ridden wino that used to sleep on the bench behind my apartment in New York, I don't think he would have been caught dead with this thing. My wife says it looks like someone wiped with a snake.
Remember the grunge movement, when sleeping in the same clothes for a week was beautiful? Weren't hippies required to live in apartments without showers? The thing about the disgusting/beautiful movement is that it was also cheap. What's Angela Di Verbeno's excuse?

1 comment:

BobbaLew said...

Cookin', Mahooch