I know I don't update it daily. Shut up.

February 16, 2007

Best made-up holiday ever.

Meep Day is like if you took the original, pre-screwed-with Star Wars trilogy and made it into an intravenous drug only available to you if you take an oath to punch a Teletubby in the eyes whenever you see one. Naturally, you want it every day but you only can get it once in a great while.

It happens once a year, and is our fuck-you to the establishment that says I have to buy flowers and chocolate and shit once a year while essentially ignoring my better half for the rest. No thank you. I rather surprise her with flowers ONLY when she least expects them, and when I have the money. And when I don't have the money? Well, that's sort of what Meep Day is all about.

See, Meep day has a rule. You may not buy the other person a gift. You have to make it.

I've just celebrated my third Meep Day, and it's taught me something about the nature of gifts: When they are created by hand, they mean so much more. Maybe it's just a card you make from magazine clippings, or a dinner. Whatever it is, I've never been able to put "I love you" in a gift the way I can on Meep Day.

That said, it works the other way, too. I didn't think I could love her more than I do, but then Meep Day came. And she made me a Death Star cake. Best made-up holiday ever.






Oh yeah - did I mention the Death Star is filled with pudding?

2 comments:

Mike Garvey said...

You two are nerdy and hilarious. The only way this would be in the same league is if that death star was made of legos. But from what I understand, that's forthcoming...

By the way, I just bought the Lego Avatar Air Temple. Who says we need to grow up?

Anonymous said...

"The Death Star is made of pudding."

If anything would have made "A New Hope" rock EVEN HARDER than it did ... that would be it.

Jar Jar Binks is made of licorice, prunes, demon intestines and death.