I know I don't update it daily. Shut up.

March 2, 2008

Best dang gift I ever got.

Marcy and I have this longstanding deal: We don't celebrate Valentine's Day.

Our feeling is that the world doesn't need to perform mating rituals a la a company striving to make money off them. So, screw you, Hallmark.

Instead we celebrate our own little made-up holiday, wherein we can't spend money on each other. We make each other a gift.

Over the years the gifts have varied, but last year's was nearly impossible to beat: I was given a cake in the shape of the death star.

Kick. Ass.

I wholeheartedly think every adult should try this for their next Valentines Day: Make something for your significant other. A card is a lame cop-out, but if that's all you can muster, go for it. But other suggestions include: A special meal, an illustrated book about the both of you ... maybe even a photo album.

It works every time.

No comments: